Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Miami Spice 2015 - Swine Southern Table & Bar

I'm sure you'll agree that nothing beats the smell of smoky, heartwarming BBQ. And I'm also sure that is exactly what you think about every time you walk down Ponce in Coral Gables. If you don't know what I'm referring to and you reside in Miami, you just haven't lived. Let me break it down for you. My next Miami Spice adventure happened at Swine Southern Table & Bar, located at 2415 Ponce de Leon Boulevard.

I'm sure I don't need to give you much of an introduction to this place. It is the sister restaurant of Yardbird Southern Table & Bar in Miami Beach, and one of the popular eateries owned and operated by 50 Eggs Inc., Miami's very famous multifaceted, culinary and hospitality firm. But most people know Swine as that awesome BBQ place in the Gables that makes the whole street smell so good.


Swine's Miami Spice Menu

We ventured out here on a Thursday night eager to see what goodies awaited us on their Miami Spice menu. While the menu itself isn't huge, the portions are. Perhaps huge is an understatement. I'm talking leftovers for a couple of days. And not just food that you put away in the fridge and forget about, but leftovers that you are looking forward to coming home to the next day.

I started my evening sipping their Homestead Bound, a sweet concoction made with Absolut vodka, Veev acai, fresh strawberres, orange, lemon, mint and basil. Of course, this is not part of the Miami Spice menu but who comes to Swine and doesn't have one of their famous cocktails?




The menu itself consists of a choice from three appetizers, three entrees and one dessert. You might be thinking, just one dessert? Yes, but sometimes one is enough; especially when it is called Death By Chocolate. But back to the starters. We ordered the Fried Green Tomato and the 1855 Black Angus Burnt Ends, and suddenly I was back in my last road trip vacation through the deep south. The Fried Green Tomato was topped with a robust Winter Park Florida tomme, pea shoots and a delicious tomato chow chow relish. However, it was the Golden Nuggets of the South, or the Burnt Ends, that totally blew me away. These flavorful, juicy pieces of meat were drizzled in their ever famous Swine barbecue sauce and served with spiced corn nuts and a creamy cornbread foam. All I can say is that it's one of those things you have to experience at least once in a lifetime.


Fried Green Tomato

1855 Black Angus Burnt Ends

On to the entrees. We decided to try the Backyard BBQ Chicken and the Low & Slow Ribs. When our server brought the dishes to the table,  my jaw dropped. The ribs in particular were stacked at three levels. I couldn't wait to stick my teeth into them. They were mopped in an apple cider vinegar,  which kept the meat moist and falling off the bone, and seasoned with a mild competition rub. I also enjoyed the homemade pickles served with the ribs. The chicken was slow smoked and grilled, and coated with the same Swine BBQ sauce. It was served with charred okra and roasted marble potatoes.


Low & Slow Ribs

Backyard BBQ Chicken

Remember the Death By Chocolate I told you about? Well this is just about the moment in time we succumbed to the sweet, pleasurable finale. Let me just list the ingredients and you'll understand what I mean: a glass filled with a rich chocolate brownie, creamy chocolate pudding, crunchy cocoa puffs, smooth chocolate ice cream, and a decadent chocolate sauce. Do you see a pattern here?


Death By Chocolate

It's pretty obvious Swine Southern Table & Bar is a must-do for Miami Spice. It's got incredible, quality food and portions to match. For more information, visit their website or call them at 786-360-6433.


Click to add a blog post for Swine Southern Table & Bar on Zomato

1 comment: